Welland, Ontario is a beautiful city located in the heart of Niagara Region. With its scenic waterfront, beautiful parks, and vibrant downtown, Welland is a great place for seniors to enjoy their retirement years.
Here are the 10 best things to do for retirees in Welland, Ontario:
1. Welland Canal Trail: The Welland Canal Trail is a scenic walking and cycling trail that follows the route of the Welland Canal. The trail offers beautiful views of the canal and the surrounding countryside and is a great way to stay active and enjoy the outdoors. https://www.niagaracyclingtourism.com/bike-routes/greater-niagara-circle-route/welland-canal-recreation-trail/
2. Merritt Island: Merritt Island is a beautiful nature park located in the middle of the Welland River. The park offers a variety of walking trails, picnic areas, and wildlife viewing opportunities. https://www.niagarageopark.com/welland/merritt-island-park-and-recreational-centre
3. Welland Farmers Market: The Welland Farmers Market is a great place to shop for fresh produce, baked goods, and other locally-made products. The market is open every Saturday from 6 am to noon. (https://www.welland.ca/Market/)
4. Seaway Mall: Seaway Mall is a popular shopping destination in Welland, offering a variety of stores and restaurants. The mall also hosts a variety of events and activities throughout the year. (https://seawaymall.com/)
5. Welland Museum: The Welland Museum is a great place to learn about the history of Welland and the surrounding area. The museum features exhibits on local industry, agriculture, and culture. (https://www.wellandmuseum.ca/)
6. Chippawa Park: Chippawa Park is a beautiful park located on the shore of the Welland River. The park features a playground, walking trails, and picnic areas. https://www.welland.ca/facilities/ChippawaParkCC.asp
7. Port Colborne Historical and Marine Museum: The Port Colborne Historical and Marine Museum is a fascinating museum dedicated to the history of the Great Lakes and the St. Lawrence Seaway. The museum features exhibits on local shipbuilding, marine artifacts, and the history of the Welland Canal. https://www.portcolborne.ca/en/recreation-and-leisure/historical-and-marine-museum.aspx
8. Welland International Flatwater Centre: The Welland International Flatwater Centre is a world-class sports facility that hosts a variety of water sports events throughout the year. The facility also offers opportunities for recreational kayaking and stand-up paddleboarding. (https://www.wifc.ca/)
9. St. Catharines Museum and Welland Canals Centre: The St. Catharines Museum and Welland Canals Centre is a great place to learn about the history of the Welland Canal and the Niagara Region. The museum features exhibits on local industry, transportation, and culture. https://www.stcatharines.ca/en/arts-culture-and-events/st-catharines-museum-and-welland-canals-centre.aspx
10. Niagara Wine Country: Welland is located in the heart of Niagara wine country, with many vineyards and wineries located nearby. A visit to one of these wineries is a great way to enjoy the beautiful scenery of the region and sample some of the delicious local wines. https://winecountryontario.ca/region/niagara-on-the-lake-area/
In conclusion, Welland, Ontario is a great place for seniors to retire and enjoy their golden years. With its beautiful parks, vibrant downtown, and many attractions, there is something for everyone in this charming city. As a resident at The Grand Canal retirement residence, you can take advantage of all the wonderful amenities and attractions that the city has to offer. Come join The Grand Canal Retirement Residence and discover the best of what Welland has to offer!